No Evidence of a Critical (Sensitive) Period for Learning: Why Not?
- Does not meet evidential criteria: No extrinsic component, no specified critical system.
- Paper does not contain a section The Relationship of Elevated Brain Metabolism and Synaptic Densities to Learning (They didnt study it and no one else knows what the relationship is either).
- Argument assumes period of high metabolism/synaptic density is a critical period.
- Argument makes folk-theoretic assumption that periods of rapid brain growth and activity are optimal periods for learning.
- Neuro-speculation uncritically embraced by policy makers and educators.