Postdoctoral Fellowship Awards in Studying Complex Systems
The total amount of the JSMF Fellowship is $200,000 USD to be expended in no less than 2 and no more than 3 years.
- The cost of the full postdoctoral salary or stipend and fringe benefits must be paid in full from the fellowship.
- Institutions cannot request that other funding sources be used to cover the Fellow’s salary or stipend; JSMF Fellowship funds are not intended to be used primarily as a source of laboratory support.
- If the institutional postdoctoral salary scales are set such that there are funds in excess of what is needed for stipend and benefits, the excess funds can be used by the institution to support the Fellow’s research.
Important Note: JSMF Fellowships are not awarded until the student applies to and is accepted as a postdoctoral fellow at a qualified 501(c)(3) institution or foreign equivalent and the institution submits an acceptable application to JSMF.
This fellowship is intended for Ph.D. students with theoretical and/or experimental training in Complex Systems Science that anticipate completing their graduate training in late 2015 or in 2016.
Important Note: It is not intended for individuals that already have a Ph.D. or students that have already identified a postdoctoral position and a postdoctoral mentor as there are traditional funding mechanisms available for these students.
- Applicants must not already have a Ph.D. or expect to receive one before the application deadline.
- Applicants should have theoretical and/or experimental training in Complex Systems Science.
- Applicants should not have already identified a postdoctoral position and postdoctoral research mentor.
- Applicants should understand that if a letter of intent to fund is received, it is unlikely that an application to remain at the same institution will be approved.
- Applicants should understand that JSMF Fellowships can only be used to support postdoctoral training at a qualified institution with 501(c)(3) status or foreign equivalent that is already on file with the foundation. View the list here.
The deadline for applications and letters of support is June 12, 2015, 15:59 CDT (20:59 UTC). All materials must be submitted electronically through the specified process.
Decisions and Notification
Applications that meet the eligibility requirements will be reviewed by an expert advisory panel. The panel will use the quality and appropriateness of the proposed fellowship plan, academic productivity, and letters of support as the basis for recommending applications for funding consideration.
Final funding decisions will be announced at the end of October after the JSMF Board of Directors meets and considers the advisory board’s recommendations.
It is planned that JSMF could support up to 10 Fellowships, possibly more, each year.